Every year hundreds of people are affected by extreme cold, icy roads, and fires caused by improper use of heaters. In the first half of 2018, winter storms caused an estimated $4 billion in damages, including $2.9 billion in insured losses. Manage the impact of a winter storm by making a plan to take of you and your family before, during, and after a storm.
Prepare Your Family
Having a plan in case of mandatory evacuation is necessary. Take time to review how to prepare and respond to the emergencies common in your area. In your plan, be sure to include family member information, pet information, and financial information. Assign responsibilities to all family members in the event of a disaster. We recommend meeting with members of your household to review your plan every 6 months.
Assemble Your Emergency Survival Kit
Basics to include in your kit:
- Water - one gallon per person, per day
- Food - non-perishable items
- Medications - a 7-day supply
- Mobile Phone Chargers
- Copies of Personal Documents
- First Aid Kit
Prepare Your Pets
A winter storm can be life-threatening for your pets, so follow these tips to prepare your pets for severe winter weather:
- Prepare for a snowstorm by stocking up on pet food and medicines
- In the case of an evacuation, take your pet with you
- Livestock should have a shelter where they can be protected from ice, snow, and wind
- Never leave your pet outside during a winter storm
- Consider investing in booties or a coat for your pet in the winter
Prepare Your Home
Severe damage to your home can result from a lack of preparation for a snowstorm. Ensure your heat sources are clean and working properly.
A frozen pipe can cause major flood damage to your property. Protect your pipes from freezing by draining your hoses, and insulating your attic and basement. Make sure any cracks around doors and windows are sealed with caulking or weather-stripping.
How Encircle Can Help
Snow, ice, and severe cold can cause damage to your home. Prepare before a snow event by doing a home inventory. Doing so can save you time and money in the event of an emergency. Remember, Encircle is here to help with our free home inventory app, available on your Android or Apple mobile device: